Release: Custom Icons!
Today's big feature is the ability to extend our icon selection with your own icon image files.
Starting with today's version, you can now add your own icons to use in your wireframes.
If you want to share icons between your projects, set up your Account Assets folder first.
Adding via Icons dialog
There are two ways to add custom icons to Balsamiq Mockups. The easiest way is via the Icon Library. If you're working on a saved file, you'll see a Project Assets folder as below.
Just select Project Assets or Account Assets, then click the little plus button, select an image file and voila', your image will be resized down to fit in a 48x48 pixels square and copied to either the project assets or account assets folder for you.
Adding to assets folder on file system
The words you use in your filename after icon_ are used as the searchable keywords in the icon dialog. So the example below shows airplane because the filename is icon_airplane.png. You can string together a few labels to get synonyms in there, e.g. if the file is named icon_bag briefcase portfolio.png, all of those words after icon_ will be searchable.
Here's an example showing how we added custom icons to a Mac by downloading the free 32x32px Doodlekit icons, ran them through the free NameChanger app to prepend files with icon_, and moved them to the ~/Documents/Balsamiq Mockups/assets folder. They now appear in the icon dialog like this:
We used the Steedicons above. This blog entry at tipsblogger lists some more hand drawn icon sets that might be useful for this feature.
We also need to give mad props to our new friend and awesome Actionscript independent contractor Mims Wright who worked on the Custom Icons development. Thanks Mims! :)
Other bug fixes
- All versions: added smoothing to small images so that they look better.
- All versions: fixed size of checkmark icon in iPhone menu. Thanks halshura for reporting it!
- Mockups for FogBugz: updated a few links to our website.
How do I update?
Easy! Just install from our download page on top of your current installation. You won't have to re-register.
As always, if you hit any snags with the new build let us know immediately and we'll fix it right up! :)
For posterity, these are the version numbers of today's release:
- Mockups for Desktop: version 2.1.7
- Mockups for Confluence: version 2.1.6
- Mockups for FogBugz: version 2.1.6
- Mockups for JIRA: version 2.1.6
- Mockups for XWiki: version 2.1.6
- Web Demo: version 2.1.6 launch it
What else is going on?
- Michael exported our Balsamiq Mockups documentation in handy ebook formats (PDF, EPUB, MOBI), and even wrote a blog post about the process. Check it out!
- Our website was hacked on October 5th. It was a wild ride, but now we're stronger for it.
- We migrated our build machine to a much more powerful server, cutting down our build times considerably. Thanks Luis!
- We improved our docs a bit more: here's a new article about running myBalsamiq behind your firewall, one about the custom properties feature and one about sharing images, symbols and icons between projects using account assets. We also improved the icons documentation with the new feature, and moved the projects best-practice to be front and center.
- Marco and I are off to Boston tomorrow for the Business of Software conference, where I'll interview one of my heroes on stage and run a workshop revealing how we're able to release so often. I can't wait to see my tech entrepreneur friends and meet new ones!If you're going to BoS, please come and say hi! If you're not, register for the live stream!
- We updated the myBalsamiq beta build a couple of times. This is still our main focus right now
- We have interviewed a number of people for the devops job and we're making great progress...stay tuned here for updates!
Peldi for the Balsamiq Team